Ok, I know everyone makes some version of this Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole because it’s been around forever. Right?!? Some of you might use diced hash brown potatoes and some probably use shredded. Either way it’s always a hit!
In my version, cuz I’m basically pretty lazy, I use Obrien diced hash brown potatoes. It already has the onions, so you can skip the chopping onions part of the recipe, which is always a big bonus, and it also has some pretty red and green peppers that jazz it up for the holidays! Boom! No brainer!
This recipe was on my catering menu for 16 years and was by far the most requested side dish on my dinner and breakfast/brunch menu. It is the perfect compliment to quiche or breakfast casseroles and fruit salad on a brunch buffet. Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole has always been a staple at my house as well. It is so easy to throw together and everyone loves it. Another reason I love this casserole so much is you can make it the day before and bake it when you are ready, which makes it the perfect side dish!
This is one of my recommended “Laid Back Holiday Menu Ideas” so be sure to keep these ingredients on hand during the holidays so you can whip this dish up at a moments notice!
- 1 2 pound bag of frozen hash brown potatoes – thawed – I use Obrien and eliminate the onions
- 1/2 cup chopped onion – if you are using obrien potatoes you can skip this
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 small can condensed cream of chicken soup – undiluted
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups corn flakes
- In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients except 1/4 cup butter and corn flakes.
- Scoop into a buttered 13 x 9 casserole dish
- Mix the topping ingredients together and sprinkle evenly over the potatoes
- Bake at 375 degrees x 45 minutes