Best Ever Chocolate Pie
This is yet another recipe my Mother in law introduced me to more than 30 years ago, and for almost 20 of those years she made this for my birthday. So, for my birthday this year, I’m making this for me! This also happens to be the hubbs fave dessert so he will think I am making it for him and since it will earn me big brownie points I won’t tell him otherwise!
I’m not sure where my MIL got the recipe and it is entirely possible “Best Ever Chocolate Pie” is not the original name because it is very similar to a recipe called “Sex In A Pan”, and there is no way on Gods green earth my sweet Mother in law would ever make a dessert called “Sex In A Pan”! So, I’m pretty sure she changed the name.
No matter what you call it, this is “THE” best chocolate pie you will ever eat! It all starts with a thin and crisp baked pecan shortbread cookie base, layered with a sweetened cream cheese layer followed by a chocolate pudding layer and topped off with layer of cool whip and shaved chocolate.
This dessert should seriously come with a warning label. It is so light and creamy and chocolaty with that crispy crust just singing a song in your mouth! If your family doesn’t polish off the whole thing you will find yourself sneaking bites of it in the middle of the night! You really will!
Best Ever Chocolate Pie
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter – chilled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 8 ounce brick of cream cheese – room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 16 oz Cool Whip divided
- 1 large instant vanilla pudding
- 1 large instant chocolate pudding
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Place flour and chilled butter into a food processor. Pulse until crumbly. Add pecans and pulse once or twice to blend.
- Pat mixture into 13 × 9 pan. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Cool.
- While the crust is cooling place the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat together until well blended.
- Fold in half of the cool whip.
- Spread evenly over the cooled crust.
- Whisk the chocolate and vanilla pudding with the milk until well blended.
- Pour over the cream cheese layer. Chill for a few minutes.
- Spread the remaining cool whip over the pudding layer and top with shaved or grated chocolate or more chopped pecans.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serves 12-15
I am so happy you are making one of my recipes! Please take a picture of your creation and post it to instagram! Be sure to tag me @ldsspecialties I would love to see it!